Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pride of the Southland Band Begins New Season

Pride of the Southland Band plays "Rocky Top" as they march to Neyland Stadium.



IT’S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE….AND ANOTHER GREAT SEASON BEGINS FOR THE PRIDE OF THE SOUTHLAND BAND

It will be football time in Tennessee on Saturday, and for the first time in countless (I really can’t count them) years, I am missing the opening home game. That is due to the clumsy injury I had in July when I decided to go flying off my friend Lynne’s deck. Breaking bones in both feet and the subsequent ER visit has not been pleasant. It has been awful. Eight weeks later, I have complications with my right foot and a newly found fracture. I am still in a soft shoe cast.

Anyway, doctor’s orders on Monday were clear: “NO CROWDS, NO STADIUM AND NO GAME. PERIOD.”

I asked him if that meant the UT opener against Western Kentucky and he gave me an emphatic “YES.”

Being the nice guy he is, he said, “Don’t worry, there will be other games. Lane Kiffin will be here for a long time…..” yada yada yada.


I explained to him that I really don’t care about the football, and that I am a Pride of the Southland Band fanatic. I want to go to support the Pride. Two of my daughters had the privilege to march in the Pride, and I want to support my son-in-law’s brother who is a trombone section leader this year. That didn’t fly. No game this week…or next…..So, we’ll watch it on TV.

But it won’t be the same since the networks, small or large, hardly ever show half time except for maybe the Rose Bowl. And that’s a travesty. Save that for another blog.





Whether it’s the Pride of the Southland or any other college or high school band, what they all have in common is that they work so hard, and they give 110 percent from August to December, and sometimes beyond that. These band members are also student athletes. Anyone who has ever marched in a band or had kids in a band knows this.
Every band director I have ever met is an incredibly hard working person. As musicians, they could have chosen easier teaching jobs than directing high school or college marching bands. It is very demanding and physical.


The Pride of the Southland is exceptional. For one credit hour, these kids practice more than seven hours a week in unbearably hot to unbelievably cold weather for four to five months. That doesn’t count the Thursday/Friday through Sunday when the Pride travels to an away game.
Their uniforms are wool. When Neyland Stadium is 90-100 degrees on the field, these talented college students are marching, playing, remembering their drill charts and putting on the best show in the country.



UT Football Team runs through the "T," a Tennessee tradition.

And it’s not just one halftime show for UT. The Pride is one of the few bands in the country to present a full pre-game show every week. The Band spends as much time on it every week as they do halftime.

So, next time you go to Neyland Stadium, a college game or a local high school, take the time to thank a band member. They will always remember it, and you’ll be glad you did.
Have a great season, Pride, and thanks to Dr. Gary Sousa, Dr. Donald Ryder and Dr. Michael Stewart and all the members of the Pride!

Fans sing the UT alma mater as the Pride forms the "UT."

No comments:

Post a Comment